5 Benefits of Breastfeeding your Baby
Health Canada and the World Health Organization recommend that breast milk should be the only food or drink for the first 6 months of life and after that, breastfeeding should continue for up to 2 years or more along with age-appropriate solid foods.
Why? Because breast milk is one of the most remarkable substances on the planet (IMO).
A woman’s body naturally produces breast milk when her baby needs it … and it provides the proper mixture of nutrients to be all that a baby needs for healthy development. In fact, as the baby grows and their needs change, so does the composition of the milk. How cool is that? An individualized meal plan, built by nature, supplied by mom.
- Nutrition – breast milk contains all the necessary vitamins, minerals and nutrients for healthy growth and development
- Protection for baby – breast milk carries antibodies and other immune factors which help prevent disease and reduce the risk of developing allergies
- Protection for mother – breastfeeding provides protection from breast and ovarian cancer
- Bonding – breastfeeding helps to build and strengthen a secure, loving relationship which can cultivate confidence later in life
- Convenience – considering breast milk is free, portable, and has no clean-up required it is a great option for all those involved, including the environment
The fine print: babies who are exclusively breastfed do require daily supplementation with Vitamin D